Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Reasons Why

Meredith still in Vero.
Feb 2, 2010

In the past 10 days there was one 1/2 day window forecast to cross to Bahamas. Not long enough. It takes 1/2 day to make the crossing. Windows rarely open up and we have had too many slam in our face to run with this forecast. As it turned out this window was 1 1/2 days long.

Our ordered parts did not arrive until Friday anyway. What parts? Head Repair kit, water pump repair kit for the Tohatsu, repair kit for the knotmeter transducer, spare filters for our water purification system.

Since Friday wind has blown 25 out of the North Saturday and Sunday and it rained continuously for 24 hours yesterday through today.

The No. 1 reason:

The alternator is expressing its individuality, the engine panel has shorted out and the batteries are in a tizzy.  A mechanic charges $95 an hour and this means I can spend a lot of time learning how to do it myself, even at Vero rates.  I am availing myself of the privilege.

It looks like the alternator is back on track so if I disconnect the low oil pressure warning buzzer and the overheating buzzer we can travel.  I would still like to know what killed the system and am not quite willing to just take off until I am sure.

The joy of cruising.

No comments:

Post a Comment